♦ Definition of the Ceramic Braces:
– It’s one of many types of orthodontic appliances that consist of archwire & bracket but differs from the metallic braces as it mimics the color of the tooth surface.
♦ Advantages of the Ceramic Braces ( Pros of the Ceramic Braces ):
– Highly esthetic braces that are less noticeable as it mimics the color of the tooth enamel.
– High stain resistance: The Ceramic Braces don’t stain but the elastic ligatures do.
♦ Disadvantages of the Ceramic Braces ( Cons of the Ceramic Braces ):
– High cost if compared to to the metallic braces.
– Can’t absorb the forces as the metallic braces do which lead to ceramic braces fracture.
– Time-consuming as it takes more visits if compared to the metallic braces.
– Wearing of the opposing natural teeth if there is any contact between the ceramic braces & the teeth.
– Handling by the orthodontist is more difficult if compared to the metallic braces.
– Larger in size if compared to the metallic braces which make them more difficult to clean.
– The possibility of irritating the soft tissues opposing the ceramic bracket such as lips & cheeks due to the sharpness of this braces.
♦ Staining Of The Ceramic Braces
– The Ceramic Braces are difficult to be stained but the elastic ligatures that hold the archwires attached to the brackets did.
– How to prevent the staining of the elastic ligatures?
* Immediate tooth brushing following the meals: that prevents the food to be impacted between the teeth & braces which lead to tooth decay & staining.
* Avoid the foods containing red, yellow or dark colors such as Tomatoes, Mustard, Coffee, Soy Sauce, Dark Candy or Red Wine.
* Frequent change of the elastic ligatures: as we mentioned before the elastic ligatures are more subjected to stains so you need to change them frequently.
* Avoid Cigarettes & Tobacco smoking as it can cause yellow discoloration of the elastic ligatures beside staining of your teeth.
* Flossing & using of Mouth Wash agents: that is very important to keep your mouth clean by removing all the dirt that stick to your bracket.